Skip to main content

Livingstone and Victoria Falls

My first Impression of Zambia were not good. Firstly the border was a shambles. There was only one ferry across the Zambezi for all traffic between Botswana and Zambia and once on the other side there were trucks everywhere trying to get through customs with no visible que. There was rubbish and touts everywhere on the sides of the roads. As we got approached Livingstone I got little shivers as we got closer and closer to the cloud that hung over Victoria Falls. Which are, as you would expect, amazing There is a constant spray so don't think you'll stay dry or take a decent photo with a digital camera. I tried with a plastic bag with varying success. Photos did little to capture the experience anyway.






The sunset game cruise that night was often jokingly refered to as the 'booze cruise' by our drivers. I expected given the name to see some wildlife or maybe even a sunset. I saw neither. There was however plenty of booze, all you could drink actually and there were 'Gentlemans Game' like rules with harsh punishments (2 shots vodka, 2 shots bourbon, lemonade and rasberry skulled or you did it again.) It was the last night with our current group and it turned out to be an excellent evening to finish up on.



Like Swakopmund, Livingstone was designed to suck your wallet dry if you let it. I let it.

Before the white water rafting they made you sign a waiver, fair enough i thought as there was a fair amount of risk involved. Little did I know that most of this risk was in climbing down a cliff for half an hour just to get to the water. Once at the bottom we were piled into 8 man inflatable rafts and shown the ropes. In all there were 12 rapids up to grade 4 of which there were 2. Its not a coincidence that we also capsized twice. The first time I thought we had almost made it through, we went over one wave and back down the otherside but before you could say ' shit that was lucky' another wave formed in front of us and we tipped front over end. I swore I was going to die. I was dragged under for what seemed like minutes, later a video evidence would reveal it was less than five seconds.

The next day i spent finding various ways to get down and across.

Abseilling down a 55m cliff was good fun and i'm glad i got the chance to do it but it wasn't really worth the 20 minute walk back up the gorge.



The flying fox was basically just a run and jump of a cliff with no fall but excellent views up and down the valley. There was no walking back up the gorge so this was good to do when tired of climbing back after the gorge swing.




The gorge swing is worth the walk back up. I did it three times. The gorge swing involves been strapped to harness which is connected to a rope which is connected to a cable which is suspended across the gorge. You literally just step of the cliff then fall feet first about 70m before swinging across the gorge a dozen or so times anmd then been gradually lowered to the bottom.









One of my more fortunate mates went on a helicopter ride over the falls.

We had a few days to ourselves which i spent doing my laundry (the first time since swakopmund) and hanging around the campsite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)