Skip to main content

Dahab

I caught the first bus from Wadi Musa to Aqaba. I was planning on getting on the ferry to Nuweiba straight from the bus but I thought I would give Aqaba a chance. I probably shouldn't have. It was pleasant enough but there wasn't really a lot to do in town but walk around wishing it wasn't son windy and cold.

I arrived at the ferry terminal the next morning to be told that there might not be a boat that day. This concerned me as there wasn't a scheduled service the next day so I would have to spend another two nights in town that I could have easily skipped. I waited an hour and was told that there was a boat. Phew! I got my ticket and waited, and waited and waited. This was broken by a large crowd congregating around a film crew. Turns out there were filming an Egyptian soap opera at the terminal and it biggest star was in scene. I regret that I still have no idea who it was but I have his photo. And then I waited.

Nuweiba was just what i had come to expect of Egypt from the numerous travelers I had met coming in the opposite direction, a shambles. After getting of the boat I was herded onto a bus to the terminal. Get of the bus and I had to find my bag amongst others that have been left in a pile on the concrete. Get my bag and try to find the place to buy visa stamps. I follow the sign "Arrivals". Get there and get sent back as I don't have my passport because I gave it to the immigration officer on the boat. I ask a guy in uniform and badge where I can buy visa stamps. He points to group of tourists near a building. I walk away and am grabbed by the shoulder, "baksheesh, baksheesh". "I only have money for a visa"I explain. He scoffs and mutters something in Arabic. I join the group of tourists and their guide looks at me strangely "visa?" I ask and she points to another building. I go there and wait for the guy to get off the phone. "What nationality" he says as he puts down the phone. "Australian" I say. I get my stamps and ask about the immigration office. "Around the corner" he replies. I go around the corner and see a dozen or so buildings. Nothing (in English at least) suggests that the immigration office is there. I walk around from building to building until finally I walk through an open door and see the familiar face of the immigration officer. I get my passport back and head to arrivals. My bag is searched half a dozen times by half a dozen people I'm sure all thinking that they are alone have the capacity to do the job. Finally I'm in Egypt proper and am confronted with a new type of hell. Taxi Drivers. The bus company conveniently has its last service to Dahab before the boat arrives so I'm at the mercy of the dozen or so people who crowd around me. Thankfully there are 2 Japanese with me so we can share the cost. I owe a lot to one of them, she haggled like a trooper and we got what I thought was a decent price. I didn't ask for a tour of Nuweibas beach camps but I got one anyway. Same as before. "No no your hotel is more expensive / full / dirty". We hadn't even said where we were saying so I found this quite amusing. From the delirium more than anything else. The camps we looked at we all very basic and looked as though a decent high tide could see their demise. I made cubby houses as a kid that looked more homely.

We did eventually get to Dahab for the agreed price. The camp here put the others to shame and the prices were the same. The 'strip' at Dahab is for tourists and tourists only but at the same time was more relaxing than anywhere else I had been on this trip. It reminded me a lot of the north beaches of Zanzibar. The shore was lined with restaurants serving seafood and local cuisine desperate for you to eat there. After eating little more than kebabs, shwarmas and falafels for over a month it was a welcome change. I'm looking forward to spending a few days here after seeing the rest of Egypt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)