Skip to main content

Cairo

I arrived in Cairo on the Train from Luxor. Probably the best train journey I have been on not that I've been on many.
I had heard a lot of Bad things about Cairo. Those who I had met in Istanbul who had just come from said that they we relieved to be in a more relaxed environment (read how i felt about Istanbul). The LP listed countless scams that I would probably be exposed to. Hotel Touts and Taxi drivers would mob me as soon as I stepped out the door they said. After two months of traveling through the Middle East I thought that I would be prepared for what ever faced me. However nothing prepared me for what followed. Nothing. Not a word. I almost felt disappointed.
Trying to find my hotel provided me with my first hassle. I found the street easy enough but walked the length of it a few times before i found the right address. I had to ask about a dozen people before I found the first evidence that the place existed, the sign on the reception desk, down a corridor, on the sixth floor of a building, in an ally off the main street. I later learnt that they were yet to acquire a license so were keeping low key. The place was brand new and despite my early reservations it turned out to be the best place i have stayed in Egypt and one of the better hotels this trip.

Cairo was amazing and one of my favourite world Cities. I spent a week there but could have spent weeks more. Most of my days were spent walking the streets of Coptic Cairo, downtown or around Khan Al-Khali. Unlike other places in Egypt I wasn't hassled and most places charged local rates. I also managed to develop a Kushary addiction.

I put of visiting the Pyramids until my last day. Partly because I found the rest of Cairo so interesting but mostly because I was little worried of being disappointed. To an extent I was. Maybe it was because I was been lied to by touts even before I even got inside or the fact that I had seen so many amazing sites already. I think my main mistake was that I had built up an image in my mind, fueled by movies and books, that was never going to be met. The pyramids were big but they weren't dominating like I though they would be. And the Sphinx, the Sphinx was a kitten. Having men on camels/horses/donkeys in my shadow all day didn't help. This, and the sand that was blowing in my face all day saw me leaving the Pyramids unsure of what I made of them, I'm still not sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)