Skip to main content

Berlin

Where east met west and I met Schneiderweiße. Who knows which will have a bigger impact on Berlin. Judging by the number of monuments and museums dedicated to the former vs the later, approximately 1,000,000 vs 2, it will probably be the cold war. But I think I made an impact.
I would have loved Berlin, if i understood it. The museums I were looking forward to most were panifully short on English translations and I found myself skirting through exhibits that otherwise would have had me engrossed for hours. There were a few exceptions. The Jewish museums, one of more interestingly designed museums you will come across, and the Allied museum, Ronald Reagans answer to Monica Lewinsky.
Most of the first day I spent looking for the Soviet war Monument but instead found that tourists maps are not always to scale and omit important information such as said monument isn't where the dot is but is in fact another 5km off the map. Atleast I got some exercise and found a pretty cool beer garden next to a canal on the way to cool my feet off.
The second day I beat the crowds to checkpoint charlie and the wall museum. Checkpoint Charlie is now just a point on the road with a reconstructed gate house and an original sign saying "You are now leaving allied territory". The associated wall museum contained mostly German news clippings and other offical documents. No translation, yawn.
The Jewish museum as mentioned earlier was housed in a pretty interesting building. Apparently is was designed by the same guy currently doing the new world trade center in New York. The exhibits themselves were also pretty interesting documenting(in English thankfully) the history of Judism. Though it did get a bit repetitive. I don't want to sound too insensitive but I felt "Ok I get it. The jews have been fucked over by every generation since year dot. But what else have you got?"
The Allied Museum focused on post-war to pre-fall of the Berlin Wall. Something were pretty interesting but as you might have guessed from my earlier comment the majority of it looked like some sort of shrine to Ronald Reagan.
The topography of terror exhibit on the former site of the SS headquaters was also in English but as it was also outdoors and sunny, reading from shiny white metal boards for any decent amount of time would have rendered me permantly blind.
The Stasi Museum had some exhibits on the techniques used to gather intelligence but there wasn't a word of English to be found. Ditto with the German-Russian Museum housed in the Soviet headquaters during the occupation of Berlin. There were however some pretty cool propaganda posters from both sides and a few armoured vehicles and artillary. On the museum side of it that was pretty much it. The much hyped Pergamon museum was only saved by the free audio tour headsets that gave information on the exhibits. The exhibits themselves including the reconstructions were a distant second to seeing the real thing in the Middle East.
Overall I didn't like Berlin as much as I thought I would. Though their is an alternative feel to the place that makes it an interesting place to visit for that reason alone.

cheers,
schuey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)