Skip to main content

Al Hudayda

I asked the hotel manager in Manakhah about getting to Al Hudayda. He assured me I just had to catch a taxi to Al Magraba on the main road and wait for a taxi to pass by. And so I waited. And waited. And waited but of course taxis don't leave Sana'a until full so I wasn't having much luck. Not that I minded much. I just sat in a road side cafe drinking tea,watching what was going on around me and answering the same three questions to anyone that cared to ask. With the help of a local I eventually managed to hitch a lift as far as Banjil. Turned out for the best really. Its must more comfortable on the bends when you have the back seat of a land rover to yourself. The drive out of the mountains along a wadi was quite impressive but once out of the mounatins the drive to Banjil and the shared taxi to Al Hudayda from there was like the drive from anywhere to Port Augusta. Long, flat, hot, featureless, boring.

During the day Al Hudayda is dead. There might have been a bit going on earlier in the day but I stayed up the Night before to watch Dirty Harry on telly and so slept in. The stores are closed and most of the people you see are sitting the shade either on the street walk or in the park. The city is clean and laid back so would make a pretty decent seaside resort town. However it lacks just one thing. A beach. Either way it's pretty relaxing to just grab a juice, the latest book thats been handed to me about Islam and join the locals under a tree before walking along the corniche to watch the sunset and then watch as the town comes alive. Merchants come out from under their trees and you can't walk the streets without bumping into a stall selling fruit or vegetables or perfume or spices or calculators.
After eating nothing but chicken, rice and beans for two weeks some fresh fish made for a welcome change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)