Skip to main content

Bangkok

I entered Bangkok how I think everyone should, on the back of the scooter through morning rush hour traffic. Firstly it wakes you up from your overnight bus trip, and secondly I think it prepares your brain for the hectic city it is about to attempt to comprehend.  Bangkok is a busy place, too busy?, Always seems to be so much going on, what I love about that is that it would still be this way without tourism, very unlike Patong. I can see it being a while before I get sick of this place.


If you were to pass out somewhere on Bangla Road and came to on Khao San Road only to think to your self "Where the fuck is the beach?" you could be forgiven. If there is a difference it's a small positive; a few less touts for ping pong shows and few more foods stalls. You could think of a Khao San road as something of a progressive three course meal with entertainment, of course definitions of entertainment vary ( I guess the same could be said of 'meal'). First course is grilled meat on a skewer, B6 each. Walk up the road a bit too the main course, Pad Thai for B20. At the end of the street is dessert, banana pancakes with chocolate syrup, B20. On the walk back try to convince a dozen or so guys that I am a dozen or so different nationalities and that I don't really need a suit but thank you (Challenge for the week: Collect at least 100 business cards from suit salesman).



How to spot a scam: or how I should learn to stop worrying and embrace the culture.

I was walking for the sake of walking as I tend to do when an awfully kind gentleman let me go through on a narrower section of the side walk.

"Thank you," I say.

"Where are you heading?" he asks.

"This way" I say, pointing in no direction in particular.

He walked a few paces in front of me and I ducked into a store for a bottle of water. The same man enters not 30 seconds later, he buys whatever it was he was buying, and walks out. I buy my water and 'surprisingly' bump into him again just outside of the store.

"Ah, you again!" "Where are you from?"

"Australia."

"Sid-e-knee?" "Mel-born?"

"Adelaide."

"Oh" he says with a confused look on his face. As they tend to do. "Temple up here very nice" he continues, perhaps taking a mental note of 'Adelaide' for next time Sydney or Melbourne draws a blank.

Conversation continues and I end up getting out my pocket map where he kindly draws me a small itinerary of places he recommends. Including two places that are only open 1 day a year. AND TODAY IS THAT DAY! How lucky am I. I say thank you and begin to walk away in no direction in particular when he follows me and explains that they are all very far away, too far to walk really, and that I should really consider getting a Tuk-Tuk. Only B40. A tuk-tuk appears if on queue.

"Thank you very much for your advice but I'll walk thank you."

This is when the tuk-tuk jockey gets out and in unison with the other gentleman says "No no, it is very far!"

I now decided that I am getting scammed and say, in my grown up voice this time, "I'll walk, thank you." Smiles disappear and everyone goes about their day.

Maybe they were just being helpful and I'm a cynical asshole.





It was one of those days... where it's a minute away from raining, and there was this electricity in the air.

You can aImost hear it.

Right ?

And this bag was just... dancing with me,

Like a IittIe kid begging me to play with it, for minutes.

That's the day I realised that there was this...

entire Iife behind things...

and this incredibIy benevoIent force...

that wanted me to know that there was no reason to be afraid... ever.

Video's a poor excuse, I know, but it heIps me remember.

I need to remember.

Sometimes there's so much...

rubbish...

in Bangkok.


Bangkok probably does get a little familiar after a while, one temple, one little side street market tends to look just like the last, you wonder if your a little lost. I swear the same lady trying sell me one of those noisy wooden frog things, is following me everywhere, waiting for me to weaken and die. It was probably the constant smell that did it in the end. Beautiful city but just so much rubbish.

It was on the bus ride out when I realised that even though I had walked around non stop for four days I hadn't even seen a tenth of Bangkok. It a bit like what they say about London, you could never walk out of it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)