Skip to main content

Okavango Delta

From our base campsite in Maun we drove in the back of the truck to the delta (Strangely passing a VB commodore on the way). Once there we were met by a number of pollers and their mokoros in varying degrees of waterproofness. I chose the safest looking for a very relaxing two hour trip up the delta to our campsite. From there we went on dusk and dawn walks. We were given instructions on how to act if we game across a rhino, lion, buffalo or elephant. Unfortunately those instructions were useless. Despite the presence of elephant tracks, elephant poo and elephant scratching posts our 'tracker' failed to 'track' an elephant or anything else for that matter.



In my free time i had a go at polling a mokoro (quiet please children). It's not nearly as easy as they make it look. I ended up tipping over and in the process breaking a pole. For the next two days i felt about as welcome as Michael Jackson at a wiggles concert.


The flight over the delta was an experience not to be missed, unless you were me.





Back in Maun was my first chance to use the internet since Swakopmund. Google took ten minutes to load so i didn't bother. I got told to come back tomorrow as it was unusually slow today. While in Maun two tourist operators had their minivans broken into losing pretty much everything from passports to cameras. This occurred during the day in front of the local shops bustling with people. A little reminder that you have to be careful everywhere.



The campsite we stayed at incidentally also doubled as a croc farm and had a bar, swimming pool and beach volleyball court. Not bad for the middle of Botswana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)