I'm not sure if it was the weather or the 25% sales tax but I don't think I made the most of Copenhagen. I thinks its an amazing city. If you had to make some utopian city up from scratch chances are you would come with some thing like Copenhagen. I think I could easily spend the rest of life there. There are beautiful parks, castles, cathedrals, muesums, pedestrian malls, women. Trains run on time. They even have an entirely different road network for bicycles complete with traffic lights. And people stop on red. There are pubs on every corner and kebab joints in between. What more could you want? I don´t Know. Maybe something to happen? A bit of friction? A 3 foot statue of a mermaid can´t the biggest attraction in Town can it? As stated earlier I could have embraced it more than I did. I just found myself walking around looking at things. Obviously this happens in other cities too, but in other cities that i've been to you have to work a bit harder to get your rewards. I think thats what has been missing from my trip so far. What saved it for me were the excellent National museum and the Danish resistance museum. Other than Copehagen I made a day trip out to some castles around North Zealand. Kronborg Castle in Helsingor was made famous by Shakespeare's Hamlet but was a little underwhelming. Frederiksborg Palace in Hillerod was possibly the best palace / castle I have been to. Beautiful setting, excellent muesums, definitly worth the price of admission.
There's nothing like a big travel bag to attract anyone in sight who speaks English. This guy was a teacher keen to ask me about Australia. Like most who asked he couldn't believe that Australia only had 20 million people. He bought me a juice, helped me find the taxi stand for Zabid, asked if there was anything else he could do for me and went on his way. The drive to Zabid was another of those 'anywhere to Port Augusta' drives. The hotel was pretty basic and was the first on this trip to have the cold water only shower directly above the squat toilet. Zabid is the second UNESCO world heritage site in Yemen but walking around the streets you wouldn't guess it. So this was one those occasions I was glad to have a guides approach me. Again with the 'ask you like' payment. I knew where it would end but atleast it would work in my favour. With a guide you got to see inside some of the court yards and they were truly impressive. You even got to see inside some o...
Comments
Post a Comment