Skip to main content

Rethymno (Crete)

Rethymno manages to strike a balance between nice old town and tacky tourist shithole. I imagine that in the peak of summer it learns a lot further towards the later. Pretty much any avaliable waterfront space in the old town is taken up by a cafe or bar or restaraunt and continues in a loop cafe / hotel / car rental agency as you move further town the beach into package holiday territory. Away from the beach it is a joy to walk through the narrow streets amongst the old venetian buildings where the restaraunts are a bit thinner on the ground and interesting doors seem a lot older than the walls around them.

I was in Rethymno for Orthodox Easter which explanied the eratic ringing of church bells from dawn until midnight from every church in town for the past week. If I didn't know any better I would say they were competing to be the most annoying. All the ringing of church bell concluded on the Saturday night with a candle lit march from ???? church to ???? church in the town square. In front of the church where the people gavered there was a ceromony (in Greek) concluding at midnight with fireworks. Ten minutes later the streets were bare.

I left the town for a walk in the surronding villages of Agia Irini, Rousospiti, Mili and Chromonastiri. All much the same. A few churches (one per citizen it would seem) and a town squarewith a few taverna. Usually the best thing to do was to sit at a table and watch the old folk of the village. The men sitting next to you in the taverna playing backgammon already with a few empty cans next to them. The women on the balconies haging out washing or sweeping the pavement in front of their homes. Of course the other joy of the taverna was the food. If my wallet (or belly) allowed it I would have spent most of my time in Crete eating. I returned to town through the Mili Gorge following a stream all the way down through abandoned villages and numerous churches back to the sea.

An other day I hired a car with an American and went to a few places the local bus network or my legs didn't reach. We started off a lake which was good from afar but far from good. Most of it was surronded by thick bush and the parts that weren't had cafes in their place. Said cafes were having their septic tanks pumped at the time so the whole stunk. From the top of a nearby hill it was a pretty lake at the foot of the mountain next to a pretty village that didn't stink.

We drove through a few more villages, all much the same, until we got to Argiroupoli which was distinguished by its springs and Minoan ruins. This is also where we stopped for lunch. Almost everywhere was closed, obviously moth balled until the summer and the only place open had a few coaches parked in front. Usually this is a definite no go and we were both hungary so we gave it a shot. As it turns out it was probably the best restaraunt I had eaten in on the Island. We were both expecting small serves so ordered a few things between us and we ended up spending most of the afternoon eating and recovering.

This was followed by a drive over the mountains, through rural crete to plakias and Preveli beach on the south coast before returning to Rethymno.

Hania is a bigger and better looking version of Rethymno and hence has more tourists. Like Rethymno the entire length of the Venetian Harbour was a string of cafes and restaraunts. Through the old town it got little tacky and among the traditional Cretian crafts there were traditional Cretian novelty T-Shirts, traditional Cretian bumber stickers, traditional Cretian Che Guevra Towels and traditonal Cretian Irish Pubs.

Comments

  1. Hello Scott,
    It is a great pleasure to visit your nice and interesting blog for the first time.
    Best wishes from Brazil:
    Geraldo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hamburg

Its hard not to say how much I liked about Hamburg without contradicting what I said about Denmark. It had the bars and clubs, but it also had graffiti on the walls and dog shit on the street. It had a buzz to it. And strange things happened. Among other things, I was in a net cafe near my hostel when i got a tap on the shoulder. Turn around there's a bloke I had met in Jordan 4 months earlier. Creepy. Turns out he had just flown in for the weekend to meet someone he met randomly in Poland. I could have just as easily been in Bergen. Other than catching up with random friends I checked out a few of the museums and churchs around town. Highlight was probably the History of Hamburg museum which had more model cityscapes, planes, boats and trains than a boy at heart could poke a stick at. I got lost looking around a harbour that seemed bigger than the rest of the city. I also found myself in the middle of a joke when two germans, two indians and an Australian went out until dawn on t

Aarhus

Same same, but different. Almost. The train trip up from Odense was a joy. It followed the coast up most of the way with great views from one side and lush forest on the other. Aarhus was ... pleasant. Lots of bars and clubs blah blah blah. The cathedral in the middle of town, the largest in Denmark, might have been a highlight if it wasn´t the same red brick structure as every other cathederal and church in Denmark. The recontructed old town was Ok after hours when you could walk around for free but I wouldn´t have paid to see it. Their was an Australian restraunt where I treated myself to an all you can eat buffet. After making do with gristle in London it was a nice change to get a decent steak without having to sell the rights to my first born. For a change up I caught the train out to Silkeborg in the Danish Lake District. If it wasn´t for the still shit weather I might have made more of it and went fishing or canoeing but I made do with a twenty km walk from Silkeborg to Ry (For

Istanbul

My flight to Istanbul was a bargain, 30 quid including taxes. The environmentalists out there would have my head. If the worlds governments and companies took global warming seriously, they would have made it cheaper to take the Train. As it stands 30 quid on the train gets me only as far as the airport and back. Unlike previous trips I was pretty relaxed when i touched down in Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian Side of Istanbul. I guess the usual anxiety I felt in this situation had disappeared with experience. The bus from the airport dropped me off in Taksim Square. A mess of buses going of in all which directions, none of which i recognized. My arch nemesis returns. With my backpack i still stood out like a tourist (well even more so, long blond hair isn't all that common among the Turkish people) and i couldn't wait to get to my hostel in Sultanahment to rid myself of it. After wondering around a little and asking a few of the locals i took the funicular (underground tram)